Monday, December 19, 2011

Welcome to the home of The Allergic Baker

Hello, and welcome to my little corner of the internet!

My name is Cheri, and as you can probably tell from the title of this blog, I'm a baker with food allergies. I love food (probably more than I should!), but as anyone with food allergies out there knows, sometimes food can inspire a love-hate relationship. People with food allergies (or who live/work with people who do) love the wonderful nourishment and fabulous tastes that food can give us. But, these same people are sometimes fearful that the very things that we eat to keep us alive may hurt, or in severe cases, kill us.

For those who don't have food allergies, it can sometimes be hard to understand how food can be "the enemy." And for those who do have food allergies, it can be hard to find accurate information without experiencing a fear of food, or fear of having an abnormal life due to dietary restrictions.

While it's true that I don't know all there is to know about food allergies, I do know one thing:
I am a near-30-something individual, with severe (and some fatal) food allergies. I'm allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, beets, onions, bananas, and certain berries. I used to be allergic to even more (including fish and shellfish), and I'm currently going in and out of a dairy allergy. But even though I have these allergies, I've lead a pretty normal life and happy life when it comes to food.

Sure there are certain things I can't eat, and certain foods I have to be vigilant about, but that just means I get to take more control of what I put into my body while being more creative with the things that I can eat. Now I'm combining that creativity with the baking hobby I love, and have created this blog to share the ideas and information I've found while trying to bake with dietary restrictions.

I hope you find this blog fun and useful!
Happy Baking,
The Allergic Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment